Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Greatest Place On Earth

Irvington, Virginia.  Located on the Rappahannock River, Irvington is the home of the freshest soft shell crabs, most glorious 4th of July parade, and of course, the Fleet family.  Ever since I can remember my family has spent the week of 4th of July in Irvington.  My mom grew up here, 99% of my family lives here, and my grandfather has been the mayor here for the past 15 years.


This week is one of my favorite weeks of the whole year because I love everything about Irvington.  From an outsiders point of view, the small town of 500 doesn't have much to offer (not even a stoplight?!), but insiders like me know that Irvington is the greatest place on earth. 


We liked to spend our mornings at the local coffee shop very appropriately named, "The Local," our afternoons sitting by the pool with all the cousins, and our evenings eating dinner on the porch as we watch the boats sail by.

Each year Irvington boasts the most extravagant 4th of July festivities.  There's a concert put on by the Air force band where hundreds of people bring out their lawn chairs and picnic baskets to enjoy the patriotic tunes, a parade in which everyone is encouraged to participate (even if you just want to ride your scooter or segue), and of course the most spectacular fire works!

Each year the Lee family has what we like to call our  "Fam-LEE Reunion".  There is always lots of singing, dancing, eating, and fellowship.  Some of us may be a little quirky, but I wouldn't have it any other way!



I'll say it again; Irvington, Virginia... The Greatest Place On Earth. And as the locals say "A day spent on the Rivah is a day well spent."



1 comment:

  1. That picture of Beverly is priceless. Gotta love ol Irvington!

    ReplyDelete